This Get Started guide gives you the basic information you need to quickly set up and test the Windward .NET Engine.
How the Windward .NET Engine Works
The Windward solution takes two input streams, the template and the data, and creates an output stream – the final report — as illustrated below.
- .NET Framework 4.5
- J# Redistributable Package 2.0 REQUIRED ONLY FOR VERSIONS PRIOR TO 12.5
- (x86) Available from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=18084
- (x64) Available from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=15468
- (IA64) Available from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14698
- J# Installation Tutorial
- A .NET Engine license key (request a trial license key here if you don't have one.)
Installing and Testing the Windward .NET Engine
Step 1: Installation
To install Windward .NET engine, run the SetupWindwardReportsDotNet.msi installer file which you can Download Here. This program installs WindwardReports.dll and all supporting DLLs.
Step 2: Entering Your License Key
All configuration information goes in the App.exe.config file for the application calling the .NET Engine. By default, the WindwardReports.dll.config is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windward Studios\Windward .NET Engine. You must copy and paste your unique key into to your App.exe.config.
As with all configuration entries, use the standard .NET name/value format when entering your license key. An example is provided in the WindwardReports.dll.config file, and is also shown below for your reference (but is not a valid key).
<add key="license" value="cHtzLjSa8TwnWysGZbDtvf1YB8eKHSxNWb54T0m MoG+d/qztTfI9xdwyRx98vGk2dpjpPHYSRQQoZmE0J8o7NWYSRQWpZ220dhDT
The license can be entered as a single line, or it can be entered on multiple lines as long as each line is just the key (no spaces before or after).
Step 3: Testing
Windward’s Test folder, located in the install directory (see below), contains a test for you to use to verify that your installation is working correctly. If the report file is created, then Windward's product has been installed correctly and is running.
- Execute the run.bat file to test your installation. (Default C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Windward .NET Engine Test\)
You have now verified your .NET Engine installation. You have a few choices for how to proceed from here:
1. Look through the sample projects. A wide variety are installed with the Engine. Open the installed Catapult help software to get started.
2. Wondering what the code needed to integrate the Engine looks like? Start with the Basic Programming Example.
3. Looking for more direction with example projects? Check out the Examples section of the User Guide.
4. Just need to the see the code? See the .NET Engine API.