Data Source Type:
2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014
In this article we will show you how to connect to a MSSQL Data Source. For more information, see the article on the new Connection Editor here.
What you will need to establish this connection
- Microsoft SQL instance
- For AutoTag and ADO.NET connections to SQL Server, there is no connector to install, it comes standard with the .NET runtime. For the Java Engine you can download the SQL Server JDBC connector from Microsoft here.
Connect to a Microsoft SQL Server as a Data Source
From MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint, navigate to the AutoTag Manager tab. Once on the AutoTag Manager tab, click on the upper half of the Data Sourcesbutton. This will open the data source Connection Editor.
Note that if you click on the bottom half, you will get a dropdown menu which lists data sources that are already connected; this may be blank.Step
Enter your organization's information. The information for Windward's sample SQL data source is shown below.
1. In the Connection Editor window, in the New tab, click on SqlServer Database under SQL data sources. The Details pane will change to prompt you for your data source details.
2. Enter a Nickname for your data source connection. This will auto-populate with the name of servers on your subnet that are configured to respond to a network query asking for their name. You can type in the name or select from the list.
3. Type or paste the location for your data source, or browse to the location. This will auto-populate from the server once the server is set. In most cases you will need to set your username & password (if you are not using Windows Identity) in order for AutoTag to auto-populate the list. You can type in the name or select from the list.
4. Fill in your credentials or opt to use your Windows Identity. (The Windward username and password are demo and demo).
5. User and User Owned are the same thing for SQL Server. User will pull the metadata of just the tables created for a database. System will also pull the system tables SQL Server adds to the database used to administer and configure each database.
6. Click Connect, and then Test your connection. If all parameters and credentials are correct and a connection is made, you will receive a successful notification. Clicking Close will save your information.
To use Windward's sample data, use this info:
Username and Password: demo, demo
Other Datasource Connector Fields:
|User and User Owned are the same thing for SQL Server. User will pull the metadata of just the tables created for a database. System will also pull the system tables SQL Server adds to the database used to administer and configure each database.|
Read in metadata:
|Check this to read in additional information from the database, primarily the descriptions of tables, views, & columns and the primary key - foreign key relationships. You should always keep this checked.|
Use Connection String:
|You can enter the connection string directly instead of entering the Server, Database, & Credentials. When unchecked it will display the connection string AutoTag will generate from your settings.|