Data Source Type:
5.0 and later only.
Key Terms Used
|A .NET-based set of computer software components that can be used to access data and data services from the database.|
What you will need to establish this connection
- The following ADO.NET Connector: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwSZDLDPSp94SnRyMEZXcVFRdFU/view?pref=2&pli=1
- A good network connection to your MySQL database. (Please note, if you are inside a corporate network and you cannot access the cloud-hosted sample data source, your firewall may be blocking you from access. Please consult with your systems or network administrator for assistance.)
Outline of the process
- Open MS-Word/Excel/PowerPoint (For this example, we will be using MS-Word)
- Go to the AutoTag Manager tab on the ribbon
- Click on the Data Sources icon (the Connection Editor Pops up)
- Fill in the appropriate information in the Datasource Connector dialog box for your MySQL server and click OK
- Your data source is now connected to your template (click Data Bin in the AutoTag tab to see your database schema)
From MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint, navigate to the AutoTag Manager tab. Once on the AutoTag Manager tab, click on the upper half of the Data Sources button. This will open the data source Connection Editor.
Note that if you click on the bottom half, you will get a dropdown menu which lists data sources that are already connected; this may be blank.
Enter your organization's information. The information for Windward's sample MySQL data sources is shown below.
1. In the Connection Editor window, in the New tab, click on SqlServer Database under SQL data sources. The Details pane will change to prompt you for your data source details.
2. Enter a Nickname for your data source connection. It is best practice to always assign a nickname to your datasource in the Name field. This will make your life much easier down the road when working with templates or tracking down issues.
3. Enter the database name here. This will auto-populate from the server once the server is set. In most cases you will need to set your username & password in order for AutoTag to auto-populate the list. You can type in the name or select from the list. To use Windward's sample database, use mysql.windward.net.
4. Fill in your credentials or opt to use your Windows Identity. To use Windward's sample database, use User Id=demo, and password=demo
5. Display Tables - User and User Owned are the same thing for MySQL. User will pull the metadata of the tables (only) created for a database. System will also pull the system tables MySQL adds to the database used to administer and configure each database.
6. Click Connect, and then Test your connection. If all parameters and credentials are correct and a connection is made, you will receive a successful notification. Clicking Close will save your information.
Other features in the Datasource Connection Editor
|Read in metadata||
Check this to read in additional information from the database, primarily the descriptions of tables, views, & columns and the primary key - foreign key relationships. You should always keep this checked.
You can enter the connection string directly instead of entering the Server, Database, & Credentials. When unchecked it will display the connection string that AutoTag will generate from your settings.
|Using specific ports||
If you need to specify a specific port, your connection string should appear as follows:
server=mysql.windward.net; port=3306; database=mysql; User Id=demo; password=demo
Connect to the Windward Sample MySQL Database
You can connect to the Windward hosted sample MySQL database with the following credentials:
- Server: mysql.windward.net
- Username: demo
- Password: demo
- Database: sakila