This article contains an example of running the Java Engine in Jython, allowing you to call the functionality from Python.
Install and Configure Jython
1. Make sure you have JDK 1.5 installed
2. Download and install Jython 2.5.2 from http://www.jython.org/downloads.html to the default directory
3. Add the Jython directory to your PATH variable (default something like C:\jython2.5.2)
4. Add the Jython jar to your CLASSPATH (default something like C:\jython2.5.2\jython.jar)
5. Test by opening a command line and typing in 'jython' if a python command prompt opens your good to go.