Installing Oracle Connector.
UPDATE: the newest information (including a step by step guide with screenshots) for setting up the Oracle connector can be found here.
To connect to an Oracle database, you need to download and install the Oracle Data Provider found in the Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) client.
Note: in the Data Source Connector of AutoTag, the OracleClient option will appear in the drop-down list of Vendors even if the connector is not installed. This is related to the default .NET install that claims OracleClient is on the system regardless of whether the actual connector (needed to connect to Oracle) is installed. If you attempt to connect to an Oracle database and the connector is not installed, you will receive the following message: Error, System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle Client software version 8.1.7 or greater. Follow the bellow steps to install the connector.
Download the installer
- Download the ODAC installer located at ODAC (18.104.22.168.0) Installation Instructions, Setup, and Notes. In general, you will want the installer that does not have the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio or the one with Xcopy development.
- Unzip the downloaded zip file into a directory.
- Double-click on the setup.exe file in the directory.
- Follow the directions in the installer.
****NOTE**** If installing on Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008/2008 R2, You will need to turn off DEP in order for the connector to download 3rd party components and not have it crash IIS.
Test the connector
- FIrst, close all copies of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Go to the Data Source Connector.
- Input the following data:
- Server: oracle.windwardreports.com:1521
- Username: hr
- Password: hr
- Click the Test button. If the connector correctly installed, you will see the "Connection to datasource successful, datasource validated" message.